Truth and Democracy

Inviting those who live in the right-wing alternate universe to join the rest of us out here in reality.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hackensack, New Jersey, United States

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Four years later.....

What a difference a few years can make! This blog has been dormant for a very long time. I've just now rediscovered it. I haven't been writing much in the interim and it will probably show. Reviewing the material here it strikes me that while I occasionally struck gold and even showed some prescience, for the most part I was just blowing off steam (anger at the right).

The political landscape has altered since then in ways I didn't dare dream. In '06 the democrats took back control of congress and two years later America elected an African-American president while giving him an historic legislative majority. Barack Obama redrew the electoral map in '08, increased the number of so-called "purple" states and probably solidified some new "blue" states in the process. I would be remiss here if I didn't acknowledge the inspiration and contributions to this political sea-change made by the former governor of Vermont, Howard Dean. Kudos, you screamin' genius!

The radical right hasn't been this powerless in the political arena since the mid 1970's. Of course, they recovered pretty quickly back then. You might even say with a vengeance. Remember Ronnie Reagan anyone? I'm sure you do. As I write this, right wing forces are gearing up to bring down president Obama and sweep the mid-term elections much as they did to Clinton in '94. The first item on their agenda is to kill health care reform, thereby embarassing the president on one of his fondest wishes. A couple of the more honest, or foolish, republicans have actually publicly admitted to this strategy. And so, opposition to health care reform is based on political strategy, not principled disagreement. The good of the party before the good of the country. At least the republicans are consistent.

Tomorrow evening I will be attending a town hall meeting in Hackensack, NJ hosted by democratic congressman Steve Rothman. The stories of paid organizers and chanting and yelling "dittoheads" are numerous enough that I don't have to review them here. I look forward to personally shaming the right wing activists who make the unfortunate mistake of attending this meeting for the sole purpose of disruption and discord. They're in for a big surprise. I will write about it in the near future. Thanks to anyone who might accidentally read this. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Paul Roth
Hackensack, NJ
8/13/09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home